At the village of Gouvia just 8 km from the Corfu Town the visitor can meet the Venetian Arsenal. This was built and operated as shipyard by the Venetian during their rule of Corfu. Near to the Arsenal is a bay called Govino bay which was used by the Venetian as port. There, there are three arched docks which were used to service their two fleets that were stationed in Corfu. The Arsenal was built around 1778 and was supposed to be used for to repair the Venetian ships but Venice limited it’s use to simple maintenance, its usage declined until it was decommissioned just 20 years later in 1798 when Venetian rule of Corfu came to an end. Unfortunately, there hasn’t yet been any attempt to restore the site but it’s still an interesting place for the visitor to see.

Relevant contents