Situated at Piazza del Popolo, St.Domenico’s church with the adjoined convent of the Dominican Fathers (today housing the Town Council seat) was built by Charles II of Anjou between 1294 and 1299. The convent, used by the Dominican Fathers for four centuries, was completely destroyed by the Turks during the plunder in 1620 and in the 18th century it was rebuilt on the ruins of the one dating back to the 14th century. The church, according to Petrucci, was probably designed by the master architect Giordano from Monte S. Angelo, while the frescoes are attributed to an unknown Dominican master.
The Church is a classical example of superimposition of different periods and styles, it preserves the Romanesque façade (restored around the ‘60s) and the Gothic portal set on two lions and the corniche of a rose window.
The inside is decorated with altars of Baroque style and paintings dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries, and Latin epigraphs of patricians from Manfredonia, and houses a Madonna dating back to the 16th century, and a Crucifix.

Relevant contents