On the square characterized by the polished stone paving and a succession of buildings dating back to different historical periods, there is the Cathedral dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The building we see today dates back to a period following 1743, year in which an earthquake destroyed the previous Norman cathedral. Today’s cathedral was built following the same plan and orientation of the previous cathedral. Traces of the floor mosaic, of the previous cathedral, still remain. This mosaic is coeval with the Cathedral of Otranto and like it, it covered the whole floor surface. The cathedral was the place where  solemn crowning celebrations, wedding ceremonies between sovereigns, were held, and was surely a halting place for the prayers of pilgrims and Crusaders. Inside it you can admire a wooden choir  of sixteenth century style and in a side nave there are the relics of St.Theodorus from Amasea.

The square underwent damages during the bombings of the Second World War, with the  partial collapse of the tower bell, which was rebuilt exactly like the original one.

Relevant contents