The Castle, completed in 1552 under the direction of the Viceroy don Ferrante Loffredo, is characterized by  the typical geometries of a sixteenth century fortalice. The complex consists of three levels. From the north-east side you can access quay level, corresponding to the  hall of arms, made up with two large rooms with barrel vaults, the longitudinal part of which is lowered, in order to otain a dormitory for hosting the Spamish soldiers. An imposing Roman door and a stretch of Messapic walls can be seen. Within the castle a part of a church dating back to the 9th century, is embedded. It is characterized by an only hall and is called St.Nicholas in Pinna. Sample excavations carried out on the floor of the church, have revelaed the existence of pile driving holes and remains dating back to the Bronze Age. The first floor was changed by seventeenth century interventions, when the castle had also a residential function. Therefore, the wooden structures were replaced by a succession of halls with a barrel vault ceiling, arranged around a central courtyard. A staircase leads to the terrace, adapted to the parade ground, to replace the courtyard level. From 1826 on the Castle was used as district prison until 1970. Today this building houses temporary exhibitions and cultural events.

Relevant contents