The Catholic Cathedral is one of the oldest monuments of the Old Fortress built in the 1400s on the Town Hall Square. Better known to locals as the Duomo, is dedicated to Saints Giacomo and Christoforo. A major renovation was made to the cathedral when the Holy Relic of Sat Arsenios reposed there in 1658. It is a single-aisled building with six side-chapels, that was destroyed internally by bombing in the Second World War. Restoration work lasted until 1970; by 1980 a church instrument had been transported and installed from the historic church of Ft Francis, where the peaceful accord for the placement of Corfu under Venetian protection was signed.

Relevant contents