Behind the Colossus – the emblem par excellence of the city of Barletta – stands one of the most beautiful churches in the city: The Collegiate Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre. This architecture, which is the result of numerous constructions built in different centuries, in addition to showing itself in all its extraordinary beauty, it also has a close link with the Holy Land and the Tomb of Jesus Christ. Its strategic position has made it a destination for numerous pilgrimages both of the faithful on their way to the Holy Land and of the crusaders on their way from the city’s port to Jerusalem. Built on the remains of a pre-existing medieval basilica, the existence of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre has been attested with certainty thanks to a document of the 1130.

The structure is the result of centuries-old architectural and stylistic transformations dictated by the Gothic style.

According to the Christian tradition, the church is oriented towards the east and was positioned in a point not accidental, but at the intersection between the road to Canosa – connecting Barletta to Rome – and the Francigena, which connects the city to Siponto. The interior of the Basilica is as remarkable as the exterior. The precious relics from the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem currently located in the chapel above the narthex is one of its wonders. In short, it is an extraordinarily divine place, where art and spirituality are combined into a beautiful and unmissable atmosphere.

Relevant contents