The church of St.Mary of the Amalfitans is the only religious building  in this town, which shows important architectural and scuplture influences of Romanesque style. In addition to this, the church, after its conversion to the Baroque style, occurred in 1772, underwent a restoration intervention of recovery of the original Romanesque style, carried out in the ‘30s of the last century, by Carlo Ceschi, who in those years was  the Superintendent for the Monuments of Puglia. The crypt is preceded by a burial ground and consists of two apses, while the two central pilasters were later introduced. According to tradition the creation of the hypogaeum space was due to some Amalfitan merchants,  as testimony of their devotion to the Virgin Mary, after having escaped from a shipwreck.

Relevant contents