The Palace of the Saints Michael and George on the northern end of Spiniada square with the names” Royal Palace” or” City Palace” or as the locals call it ’Palaia Anaktora’ adds a pleasantly neoclassical tone to the architecture of the square. The English engineer Sir George Whitmore built the palace between the years 1819 and 1824. The palace was dedicated to the Saints Michael and George and the homonymous religious order by Commissioner Thomas Maitland during the English rule.The Palace was used in different ways over the years from being the Government House, a residency of the Governor, a summer residence of the royal Greek family, to housing the European Summit after reconstruction and preservation works. Now the Palace hosts the Museum of Asian Art, 5th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities and the Municipal Art gallery.

Relevant contents