The Cathedral of Saint Sabin is one of the best examples of Apulian romanesque style, it was built between the 12th and the 13th century on the ruins of the Byzantine cathedral destroyed by the Norman Guglielmo il Malo.

The structure consists of a façade made of bright limestone, decorated with little arches, pilasters and a rose window with the stained arched lintel, ornated with grotesque figures and fantastic beings and a series of  single lancet windows and a double lancet window. Inside there are three naves separated by columns, deprived from the Baroque stuccoes at the beginning of the Twentieth century, it appears to be solemn and harmonic, simply decorated by elements sculpted in  the limestone, being at sight. Along the side there is a long gallery of arches, ad the “trulla”, a circular  building, considered to be the ancient baptister and since the 17th century it has been used as sacristy. The crypt, situated beneath the transept, as the whole cathedral, was readapted to the Baroque style in 1738, by the architect Domenico Antonio Vaccaro, and commissioned by the Archbishop Muzio Gaeta.

In the crypt there are the relics of St.Sabin and the panel of the Virgin of Odegitria, which after the tradition, was believed to be painted by St.Luca. Every year, on June 21st, the magic of the light, which filters through the rose window, casts its shadow inside.

Relevant contents