The church of St.Francis from Assisi enhances the Historical Centre of Gallipoli, together with the Cathedral and the other Churches situated  over the walls and in the narrow streets. The main nucleus of this important place of worship, dedicated to St.Mary of the Angels, was built in the 13th century, and underwent restructuring interventions which radically changed its structure. Its façade made from golden carparo, consisting of two levels, was remade in 1736 by Mauro Manieri, while the inside consists of three naves with many minor altars hosting works of art such as the paintings by Catalano, an imposing lithic crib and a  pipe organ by Pietro and Simon Kircher, dating back to 1726. Then it is worth remembering the presence there, of the big Chapel of the Spanish, with the two statues of the robbers, by Vespasiano Genuino. Of the two statues, the most famous one is the  statue of the “Bad Robber” , because of its being so realistic that Gabriele D’Annunzio  described it as “l’orrida bellezza”(“the horrible beauty”)

Relevant contents