Between the sixteenth and the seventeenth century, within the walls some buildings shot down by artillery, by order of the Venetian garrison commander Andrea Gritti, in April 1528, were rebuilt. The thirteenth century Domenican church of St.Maria La Nova had been razed to the ground. The majestic façade of this Domenican church, houses, among pilasters and cornices, fine engravings and precious sculpted images. The rose window stands out for the beauty of its embroidery-like workmanship of romanesque influence. In the tympanum the sculpture group of a Madonna sitting on throne with Child, attributed to Stefano from Putignano, coming from the previously exiating church, dominates the whole space. Then the eye is guided along the vertical axis, to complete the christological theme, with the sculpture groups of the Passion and Resurrection. Above the rose window the figure of a blessing St.Domenico  stands out, while on the sides of the façade there are the statues of the theological  virtues of Fortitude and Temperance. The inside shows the manifest influence of the Salento culture of the late sixteenth century in the layout and decorative elements. The side chapels were commissioned by aristicratic families dating back to the period of time between the sixteenth and the seventeenth century. The very precious painting representing St.Peter Martyr by Giovanni Bellini, was commissioned for St.Maria La Nova, by a citizen judge. This panting is now exhibited in the Provincial Picture Gallery in Bari. Another important work was once situated in this church- today it is housed in the Diocesan Museum- it is the Miracle of Soriano, by Iacopo Palma il Giovane, which enphasizes the influence of Venice and of the people from Venice on the levantine town. In the Rosary Chapel, by Mauro Manieri, there is the Madonna of the Rosary between St-Domenico and St.Catherine by the painter Cennatiempo. A pleasant eighteenth century touch is represented by the polychrome marble altars of Neapolitan workmanship.

Relevant contents